MURLLO: Management, Use and Re-purposing of Language Learning Objects
MURLLO - Management, Use and Re-purposing of Language Learning Objects
In 2007, MURLLO (Management, Use and Re-purposing of Language Learning Objects), an Eduserv-funded project, followed on from the L2O project and explored the development of tools to assist in the application of contextual metadata, resource discovery and editing of Learning Objects (LOs).
The MURLLO project addressed some key issues that had been identified by the L2O project as critical success factors for effectively managing, using and re-purposing re-usable learning objects (RLOs). These were:
- The need to add context-rich metadata to assist teachers and learners in resource discovery and material selection
- The need for improving on and streamlining the processes involved in the selection, export and licensing of resources
- The ease by which resources can be re-used or their ability to be re-purposed
MURLLO initially looked at different ways of collecting context-rich metadata; tested models for Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) management of online resources, and identified suitable business models for licensing content. An analysis of the results informed the development and testing of 'open source' tools.
These tools aimed to enable users to add their own learning materials, along with metadata and IPR information to a digital repository. A Wiki-type tool was created for users to edit/repurpose online learning material for their own purposes and then store the revised content for others to view or use. The project also planned the creation of an 'online shopping trolley'-type tool to simplify the selection of learning activities from the repository, and the export of collections of such activities to a user's own computer.
A reference model for contextual metadata was developed with the help of our Community of Practice.
The wiki-type editor allows users to upload an existing content package as a zip file. Once a learning object is loaded, users can open it from a WYSIWYG editor and make modifications using a selection of toolbars. The process is similar to editing Word documents, therefore users without HTML/XML knowledge are able to apply their changes easily.
These tools are now open source and available for non-commercial use. Please note they are beta versions and may require further work. If you download and improve them, please email us and share your changes so that we can disseminate further.
- MURLLO Toolkit Deployment (pdf, 17kb).
- LO Editing Tool and Metadata Editing Tool - a walkthrough (Google Docs format).
- LO Shopping Tool - a walkthrough (Google Docs format).
- Source code for MURLLO LO Editing Tool (zip, 1334kb).
- Source code for MURLLO Metadata Editing Tools (zip, 85kb).
- Source code for MURLLO Shopping Tool (zip, 767kb).